Since September is Healthy Aging Month, now’s the time to dish the dirt on how to help hair stay “forever young.”
Is your hair thinning? More strands in your comb? Grey hairs starting to peek through? These are just some of the signs of aging hair, a reality many men and women are sad to report they’re experiencing. And while 50 is the new fabulous, when people reach this decade, they experience a different set of hair issues. Oil glands shrink over time and by 50, you’re not producing as much oil to coat your hair, so dry hair becomes a reality. Also during your 50s, you might see brittleness because your hair also loses some of its elasticity.
Good for you that these changes can be treated – it just involves changing your daily hair care routine to one that’s more, let’s say, MONATious!
Change in color
That first white strand is a tell-tale sign of aging hair. Hair goes gray when cells stop producing pigment, which is normal and happens naturally with age. While there is no cure for this at the moment, there are treatments you can do to alter the color of your strands temporarily, like dying it with hair dye, or for some people, henna. But there’s nothing wrong with going gray. Take these celebrities for example. Some of them actually love embracing their grey hair.
Change in hair thickness
In case you didn’t know, it’s perfectly normal to lose about 100 hairs per day, no matter your age. Hormonal changes in women can affect hair growth patterns as well. It’s not uncommon for menopausal women to experience hair thinning and hair loss. For example, they may notice less hair on their legs but more hair on their upper lip or chin (yikes! I know).
If you’re dealing with thinning hair, or just want naturally luscious and long locks, use MONAT. MONAT products are naturally based, age-prevention hair care products that help with the natural regrowth of hair. MONAT products help hair thrive by using premium, healthy ingredients. Learn more about the ingredients found in MONAT products, here.
For optimal hair growth and strength, we highly recommend taking S3 by MONAT, a supplement support system that has ultimately raised the bar in hair nutrition. You see, each of the clinically proven ingredients found in S3 work together synergistically to replenish the system of possible nutrient deficiencies that could be contributing to hair loss. S3 provides a holistic hair regrowth treatment that works to promote enhanced hair growth from the inside out.
Feel free to browse this page to learn more about MONAT’s naturally based botanical products.
Let your hair do the talking!
Whether it’s “date night” with your boyfriend, fiancé or hubby, you want to look special. Here are 5 hairstyles that speak of romance and will make you feel like you’re walking down the red carpet, spotlights on!
Putting your hair up shows off your face and a dramatic eye. If your hair is thick, put it up in a rubber band and then swirl it around into a bun, pinning as you go. If your hair is fine, use a mesh donut form to add some density. Mist lightly with Refinish Control Hairspray to keep it in place.
Long, Loose Waves
Languid tendrils falling down your back is full of allure. The key is not styling your curls too tight…let it be messy and sexy by breaking up your curls with your fingertips. Touseled Texturizing Mist can give you that slightly rumpled look that makes your hair ever so touchable.
Face Framing Crimps
You can have it both ways if you go with this style. Put your hair up in a bun or pull it back and braid it first, while keeping a center part. Then loosen things up by pulling out sections in front on both sides of the part and crimping them. Immediately your hairstyle looks softer and more alluring. Use a curling iron to get the irregular curly look with the tendrils. A little Restyle Instant Sculpting Taffy will give some hold to the curls…and you’re all set to dance the night away!
Put a retro spin on your look with a bouffant half-updo…but give it a touchable texture.
Use Reshape Root Lifter to give your hair a boost at the top and to give it all-around fullness. Back comb the hair on the top of your head, pull the front strands back over the “fluff” and clip hair half-up. You’ll wow your “date” with this one!
Take a steal from the flappers’ era and bring it in the 21st century! This is great for giving a sexy edge to chin length hair. Use some Blow Out Cream while you both dry and scrunch your hair at the same time. This will give you shine and a slight wave. Then use Tousled Texturing Mist to add more loose waves. You’ll be surrounded by a halo of romance with this one!
Your eyes play a huge role in first impressions because they are generally the first feature people notice when initially meeting you. And countless surveys show that men are more attracted to women with beautiful eyes.1 So let’s talk about them!
Eyebrows have been in the spotlight more than ever recently and there’s a reason why. Well-groomed eyebrows frame the eyes and highlight your best features. The right eyebrow shape can brighten your appearance and make you look more youthful as well as draw more attention to your eyes…and to you! In fact, strong brows will turn heads faster than you can blink an eye!
Long lashes are a universal symbol of beauty. Full, lush lashes exude sex appeal and youthfulness as well as make your eyes more alert. Many women feel that long lashes increase their self-esteem. That makes sense! When we look good, our confidence is boosted and we feel better about ourselves. Want to turn heads at your high school reunion? Emphasize your eyebrows and eyelashes!
However, not everyone is born with full luscious eyebrows or long, luxurious eyelashes. But you can take steps to help your brows fill in and your eyelashes grow longer by using a serum, like MONAT’s Eye Wonder™ Lash & Brow Enhancing Serum. Eye Wonder contains the clinically proven Capixyl™, which helps to increase the strength and condition of your brows and lashes. It also contains Fision KeraVeg18, a vegetable-based alternative to animal keratin which helps strengthen and improve the luster of lashes and brows.
Says Dr. Amy Ross of MONAT’s Scientific Advisory Board, “Replacing natural oils with Eye Wonder will make the lashes more healthy and therefore resilient. They also may appear more full.”
Listen to what else Dr. Ross has to say about your eyebrows and eyelashes here:
Learn more about Eye Wonder here.
With magnificent eyebrows and eyelashes, you’ll not only turn heads but make others green with envy. What a delicious thought!
1 Bass, JW, MD., 9 Reasons Women Want Longer Lashes, realself. https://www.realself.com/article/reasons-women-want-longer-lashes
A chunky top knot is perfect for weathering hot days. Keep the bun slightly messy to relax the look and stay on trend. Keep it in place with a solid blast of hairspray, like Refinish Control Hairspray which also will tame flyaways around the hairline.
The ultra-high ponytail is another great look for a hot day that flows into an evening out. Use a pliable product like Restyle Instant Sculpting Taffy when blow drying to keep it clean and sleek all day. Also put some Restyle Instant Sculpting Taffy in the palms of your hands, rub together to warm the product and then very gently wipe your hands over the crown of your head for added hold.
Curls are great but sometimes you want them out of the way, especially when you’re too tired to wash your hair in the evening. MONAT’s The CHAMP Dry Conditioning Shampoo has a trick for this! Before going to bed, get rid of any overnight greasiness by spraying The CHAMP directly on your roots and then slightly all over your hair; massage in gently with your fingers. Work your hair into a low, loose side-braid without the use of a brush, and sleep on it. Tomorrow you can either keep the braid or undo it… and flaunt natural second-day body and waves! Just be sure you don’t set your hair too tight or perfectly, since the slightly messy look is in for the summer!
A slightly disheveled pixie is another great summer style. Warm a tablespoon of BLACK Groom Styling Clay in your palms so you can shape, mold and paste small pieces of your hair any way you feel like…the messier the better! You’ll end up with thicker-looking hair and a matte finish, giving you a cool appearance in the midst of a hot day! BLACK Groom Styling Clay is great for men’s hair too, to create a textured matte look with pliable hold.
No summer hair tips would be complete without an emphasis on the beachy waves look, a great do for those of you with naturally wavy hair. Spray Tousled Texturizing Mist into your palms, run through your hair and then let your hair air dry, moving your fingers through it every so often to loosen the waves. If you want some extra volume, spray at the roots of your hair while it’s half dry to build fullness and dimension.
Importantly, the best hack you can follow in the summer, regardless of the hairstyle you choose, is to use products with sunscreen to protect hair from sun damage in them. All the products listed in this blog contain CRODASORB™, which is a UV absorber that helps protect hair color from fading in the sun.
Now get out there and have some summer fun!
Remember, just as a stylish woman is admired, so is a man. Develop your own art of grooming and watch the heads turn!
- Prepping Your Washed Hair: After you’ve rinsed out your shampoo, squeeze some of the water out of your hair before you condition your hair with Revitalize Conditioner.
- Applying Conditioner: Add conditioner from the mid-lengths of your hair to the tips. You don’t need to condition your hair at the roots because the natural oil from your scalp is more concentrated there; you don’t need it.
- Let It Sit: If your hair is long, clip it up and finish showering. The longer the conditioner stays on your hair, the better it absorbs. Rinse out the conditioner as the final step in your shower.
- Give Hair a Squeeze: Before you rinse, though, give your hair a few gentle squeezes since excess water dilutes your conditioner and prevents hair from soaking up moisturizing ingredients.
- Bring On the Cold: This conditioning tip is important. Finish with a cold water rinse. Cold water will shut the cuticle tight, sealing the shingle-like outer layer. This will cause it to reflect the most light and shine.
- Pick Products for Your Hair Type: Most importantly, be sure to select a shampoo and conditioner that are made especially for your hair type. If your hair is dry, choose moisturizing products like Renew Shampoo and Restore Leave-In Conditioner. If you color your hair, opt for color-safe formulas and extra special treatments, like masques such as Replenish Masque. Volumizing products are great for fine hair types; try Revive Shampoo and Revitalize Conditioner.
- What was perfect for you years ago might not necessarily be so today. For example, you might feel that the cute hairstyle that once looked amazing on you is not as flattering anymore if you’re not used to seeing your face get rounder or slimmer.
- The long, silky locks that were once your shining armor suddenly seem difficult to maintain with your busy lifestyle; you now barely have time to run a brush through your hair in the morning.
- You are ever-changing… so why should your hairstyle remain the same?
- Lost 20 pounds or more.
- Given birth.
- Lots of stress (Caring for a loved one who is sick, going through a divorce, losing a job).
- High fever.
- Undergone an operation.
- Recovering from an illness.
- Stopped taking birth-control pills
- Use Replenish Masque a few times per week (2-3 times is ideal).
- Stretch your blowout as long as you can, as the natural oils from your scalp are healthy for your hair. If you must wash your hair daily, be sure to treat it with Rejuveniqe® to keep the hair follicles coated with hydrating ingredients.
- When hair is wet, use a naturally based leave-in conditioner like Restore and comb hair gently to avoid breakage.
- Try to keep chemical salon services limited to one at a time. Multiple chemical services (like coloring and relaxing) is more likely to cause stress on the hair shaft.
- Over processed hair is brittle. So if you must color process your hair, make sure to add moisture with a regular deep-conditioning regimen.
- Avoid heat styling as much as possible.
- Eat a diet rich in protein. Protein can repair weak spots in the hair shaft, warding off breakage. But be forewarned: Too much protein can make the hair brittle, and too much moisture makes strands too flexible. It’s important to find the right balance of moisture and protein.