Fine, thin hair? We’ve heard so many stylists saying their clients complain more about this than any other hair concern.
Some people are born with fine, thin hair, some develop it with time, and some actually cause it themselves from too much styling abuse!
But there are measures you can take to protect your hair from getting thinner and, instead, plump it out with full luscious volume.
Here are a few suggestions:
Mini Scalp Massages. These stimulate blood flow into the hair follicles and can help strengthen the hair roots and plump up your hair. Simply work a few drops of a lightweight hair treatment, like MONAT’s REJUVENIQE™ Oil Intensive, into your fingertips and rub all over your scalp before you shampoo.
Choose Wisely. Make sure you’re using the right shampoo and conditioner. MONAT’s Volume System cleanses and conditions gently without stripping the hair or leaving unwanted build-up. Its Reshape Root Lifter adds lift at the scalp and makes hair feel thicker and look fuller.
Towel Tips. Gently blot your wet hair with a water-absorbing microfiber towel to avoid roughing up the cuticle. Blowouts are easier, frizz diminishes and, overall, it’s a gentler drying solution for fine, thin hair.
Upside Down You’re Turning Me. Tilt your head to the front and blow dry it upside down. Do the same towards each side, blow drying your hair while tilting your head to the left and then to the right. Voilà! Instant volume.
Play the Part. If you always wear your hair parted on one side, switch it to the opposite side. After years of being flattened in the same direction, this will help add lift, body and volume to the top of your head.
Moe Hairy and Curly. To instantly give your hair a boost the healthy and heat-free way, add more body, waves and curls with MONAT’s Moxie Magnifying Mousse. Apply it to clean, damp hair, make two large braids and let it dry naturally. Unfurl the plaits, gently rake through your hair with your fingers… Lo and behold sexy, beach waves!
Don’t Forget Your Vitamins. Certain supplements are specifically designed to do wonders for your hair, like MONAT’s S3, an exclusive proprietary blend of clinically proven ingredients that provide a holistic hair boosting treatment from the inside out.
For millennia, humans have studied and recorded the universe’s astronomic phenomena and their actual impact on our lives. Scientists agree that solstices, equinoxes, the cycles of the moon, and other celestial events affect the earth and the tides, while spiritual gurus take it further to show how these changes in the heavens affect our bodies, our emotions, our relationships, and even our business plans.
“As above, so below.” – Hermeticism, ancient Greek esoteric wisdom
Whether or not we choose to believe in these influences, chances are that if someone suggests that trimming our hair during a certain astronomic event will help it grow faster and stronger, we might just give it a shot!
The First Day of Fall
An equinox occurs twice a year, in March and in September, marking the beginning of spring and the beginning of fall, respectively. In both cases, day and night are almost of equal duration all over the planet, hence the Latin root of the word: “equi” (equal) and “nox” (night).
As with all events that do not happen every day, today’s is pretty special; the Northern Hemisphere is moving into autumn, while the Southern Hemisphere is emerging from winter into spring. In other words, the seasons are literally changing across our planet today!
It depends on what approach you take:
• Scientific / Spiritual - This time is geared toward retaining nutrients and storing energy; the blood gets slightly thinner and moves faster, therefore speeding the elimination of toxins. Trimming your hair during this time can be part of that detox process, helping it grow faster, stronger and thicker.
• Emotional – Going through a breakup, feeling the need to let go of “baggage”, wanting to change an inner aspect of yourself, looking to call someone’s attention? Cutting your hair can be a cathartic experience and can give you a jump start to new beginnings.
• Physical – Changing your look can be the best remedy for boredom. Exploring with a new hairstyle is not a mere superficial resolution, it’s an expression of our identity and can help break the monotony of everyday life!
From genetics, hormones, and our ability to manage stress, to the foods we eat and the products we use on our body, many factors contribute to the appearance of our skin. As a result, skin problems on specific areas of the body may point to underlying conditions, while having flawless skin might be a sign of a good overall health.
The reality is that each one of us is unique, hence we need to care for our skin based on its own unique needs. Many times, changes here and there are nothing to get alarmed about and can easily be treated, even with home remedies combining natural ingredients from our kitchen pantry!
Bottom line: know your skin a little better, love your skin a lot more! September is National Skincare Awareness Month, so what better time to do so? It is the largest organ in our body, after all!
• Drink plenty of water and increase your intake of Vitamins C and D and antioxidants.
• Wear sunscreen daily.
• Exfoliate weekly and moisturize daily.
• Exercise regularly.
• Get enough sleep.
• Reduce alcohol consumption and smoking… or eliminate these altogether!
• Remove your makeup before bed and sanitize your makeup tools frequently.
In celebration of Healthy Aging Month we’re here to dish out the dirt on how to help hair stay “forever young”.
Is your hair thinning? More strands in your comb? Grey hairs started to peek through? These are just some of the signs of aging hair, a reality many men and women are sad to report they’re experiencing.
Good for you these changes can be treated – it just involves changing your daily hair care routine to one that’s more, let’s say, MONATious. ;)
Change in color
That first white strand is a tell-tale sign of aging hair. Hair goes gray when cells stop producing pigment, which is normal and happens naturally with age. While there is no cure for this at the moment, there are treatments you can do to alter the color of your strands temporarily, like dying it with hair dye, or for some, henna.. But there’s nothing wrong with going gray. Take these celebrities for example. Some of them actually love embracing their grey hair. After all, it is a hair color trend for fall!
Change in hair thickness
In case you didn’t know it’s perfectly normal to lose about 100 hairs per day, no matter your age. Hormonal changes in women can affect hair growth patterns as well. It’s not uncommon for menopausal women to experience hair thinning and hair loss. For example, they may notice less hair on their legs but more hair on their upper lip or chin (yikes! I know).
If you’re dealing with thinning hair, or just want naturally luscious and long locks, use MONAT. MONAT products are naturally based, age-prevention hair care products that help with the natural regrowth of hair. MONAT products help hair thrive by using premium, healthy ingredients. Learn more about the ingredients found in MONAT products, here.
For optimal hair growth and strength, we highly recommend taking S3 by MONAT, a supplement support system that has ultimately raised the bar in hair nutrition. You see, each of the clinically proven ingredients found in S3 work together synergistically to replenish the system of possible nutrient deficiencies that could be contributing to hair loss. S3 provides a holistic hair regrowth treatment that works to promote enhanced hair growth from the inside out.
Friday, May 27 is National Sunscreen Day, or, as the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention calls it, Don’t Fry Day. Besides damaging the skin, did you know that overexposure to the sun can also cause damage to the hair? That’s a big no-no because our hair serves a very special purpose; it doesn’t just adorn our heads! Hair actually protects us from the heat, the cold, and the sun itself!
Fortunately, MONAT’s products contain Crodasorb™, which helps preserve hair color (natural or chemically treated), and are infused with REJUVENIQE™ Oil, which nourishes every strand with a rich blend of natural botanicals. So rest assured, MONAT has your hair covered (pun intended)! Giving your hair some TLC with MONAT regularly will keep your locks healthier looking and more beautiful all year long.
But remember, sunrays are strongest between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., so avoid exposing your hair and scalp under the direct sunlight during that time slot. Here are a few other useful facts and tips that will help you prevent and heal the harmful effects of sun overexposure.
- Direct exposure to our big, bright star can damage healthy, non-chemically treated hair, but coloring or lightening your hair can make it more vulnerable to become weaker, dry and brittle, making it more susceptible to split ends.
- The sun can also alter your hair’s color. If you’re a brunette and your hair is left unprotected in the sunlight for hours, its color may become lighter or reddish. Bleached or chemically treated hair can yellow, dull and fade.
- As with the rest of your skin, your scalp can easily be harmed too if exposed directly to the sunlight for prolonged periods. Having said this, covering your scalp will reduce the risk of developing skin cancer.
- Leave in plenty of conditioner before enjoying a hot, sunny day at the beach or the pool to avoid losing—and to seal in—your hair’s natural moisture. We recommend MONAT’s Restore Leave-In Conditioner to ensure the delivery of essential nutrients to the scalp and to flaunt more manageable hair; get it here.
- If you don’t mind putting lotion on your hair and scalp, comb a small amount of sunscreen through your hair and use your fingers to apply directly on your scalp.
- To provide additional protection, put your hair up in a not-too-tight bun.
- If you want to completely shelter your mane and scalp, wear a hat. Besides looking stylish, wearing a wide-brimmed hat is also the best way to block the yellow dwarf’s rays from hitting your face and neck.
- Help repair the damage and keep your hair stronger with a weekly treatment with MONAT’s Replenish Masque! This deep therapy will quench your hair’s thirst, helping it not only restore the moisture lost out in the sun, but also deliver vital nutrients that help eliminate frizz and reduce split ends. Get it here.
We can easily spot celebs like Gisele Bündchen, Jessica Alba, Jennifer Lopez and Sofia Vergara on the red carpet by their signature “bronde” hair, also known as the ecaille tortoiseshell technique. With A-list celebrities rocking the trend, it’s no surprise this is the latest hair color to take the red carpet by storm.
What exactly is ecaille? According to experts, it’s a technique where you blend the two trends of the last few years ombré and sombré. The trick to achieving the perfect tortoiseshell effect is to tie together the more bold and extreme look of ombré and marry it with a darker root, while still taking a cue from the sombré look, remaining soft and subtle throughout. According to experts, this technique offers more dimension throughout the hair and you can do it with different tones depending on your skin tone.
The great thing about the tortoiseshell hair trend is the darker, visible roots which make upkeep a breeze. You don’t have to go to the salon every four weeks so it’s a wonderful low maintenance look for clients who are busy around the clock. Like previous trends, it’s important to protect this signature hair color with a naturally based, sulfate-free shampoo like MONAT.
MONAT products contain Cordasorb™, a powerful formula that packs an intense defense against oxidative stress, protecting the color (and hair) from the sun’s damaging rays and UVB damage. In other words, it helps keep color vibrant. You’ll also want to ensure your ends are kept healthy and hydrated; mix a couple drops of Rejuveniqe into your palms and apply evenly throughout hair for extra shine and perfection.
For more photos of the ecaille tortoiseshell technique, follow the link to Pinterest.
Eating healthy not only contributes to weight loss, it also does wonders for your hair. A diet rich in nutrients will help you stay healthy, ageless, and all-around fabulous. So why not give yourself a beauty boost with enhancing nourishments? Below, we’ve outlined some positive nutrition practices to keep in mind for a healthier mane.
Load up on Leafy Greens
Leafy greens are filled with nutrients and a whole lot of water, which helps keep your hair hydrated. Without proper body hydration, your hair will begin to look dry, which can contribute to breakage. Leafy greens also condition and create healthy scalp oils, and they contain antioxidants that fight free radicals from pollution, helping to strengthen and thicken hair. Seriously, who knew?
For the greatest nutritional benefits, leafy greens, like broccoli, kale and spinach, should be consumed raw or lightly steamed.
Include Healthy, Protein Rich Foods
Examples of protein include chicken, turkey, fish, dairy products and eggs, along with vegetarian sources such as legumes and nuts.